Tailgating by the numbers
Some tailgating facts from the Southern Miss student paper:
- 1869: Tailgating dates back to the first college football game ever played between Rutgers and Princeton. Fans traveled via horse-drawn carriage and grilled sausages at the “tail-end” of the horse, and thus, tailgating was born.
- 79% of tailgaters are men.
- 23.1: The average American roughly consumes 23.1 gallons of beer per year.
- 30% of tailgaters never see the inside of the stadium.
- 1940: The first six-pack was produced by Pabst Brewery in the 1940s.
- 49% of tailgaters travel less than an hour to their favorite team’s stadium.